Saturday, July 31, 2010

You keep telling yourself what you know...

Mal: You keep telling yourself what you know. But what do you believe? What do you feel?

Sometimes books or movies or songs change your life, because 'Cobb' is right, it is the idea that is the most indelible infection. When something, or someone, or some moment changes your perception, truly inspires wonder, it is like the entire world changes shape around you. Only it was ALWAYS just a closed circuit, a never ending staircase, you simply didn't know it yet. You didn't see it. But now you can't help but see the edges and the drop into the beginning.
(Any one else think it was interesting that the tragic hero's late love's diminutive name was the latin root for 'malus' or "bad"? I thought it was "Moll" at first, but not according to the movie sites...)
("Tainted Love" just started playing in my head. Whoa.)

But no, really, if you haven't seen it, go see it.

And there's the thing, that line I quoted up top there took me by the throat when I was watching the movie, Mcfall. Does it not so perfectly align with both Carl Jung's statements on religion and the mind as well as the conversations about faith, logic and the whole human experience of the Divine that WE have been having? I mean, seriously, Berschect, non?
Dude, I am a total girl, though. There's a part near the end where Cobb is addressing the nature of dream and reality with such heartbreak and such longing that I honestly felt tears in my eyes. I blame it on the beauty of it all, however, and not my feminine humours. :P Also, I hold the universal appeal of it to blame...
Because everyone wants to be loved like that. Everyone wants to fall into a dream world and never come back. Everyone is scared, on some level, that what they feel around them is all there ever is, all there could ever be. Everyone wants to not care where the train is going, because they are not alone - they are half of a whole. Go ahead and deny it if you want to be different, if you want to be too cool or too invulnerable to admit it. I can't blame you, I probably would if I weren't the one writing this. But I won't believe you.

Also: am I the only one who thinks it is incredible how wide spread the idea of a shared dream is in human literature or history? I mean, maybe there is something to the shared consciousness, after all. Kind of beautiful, the thought that we could share dreams, is.

*note: I have gone back over this and realized that it is not my best writing, stylistically speaking nor grammatically, but I think it transmits the feeling of frenzied thought and revelation. So I haven't edited it. Nor will I. But I will say that I know it's not the best thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment